Welcome to YAAK Adventures


WELCOME TO YAAK ADVENTURES

Live Richly, Live Free. Embrace All The Blessings From Our Creator and Marvel in His Creation.







Tuesday, May 19, 2009

tra la la chuckle poop







The above photos feature my son, Art Dog, on our camping trip. He is with his brother in front of the beaver house, in the kayak, and with his sister.



Though my children are far from perfect, rebellion has never been a strong suit for them. As a matter of fact, the most rebellious things that i know of include sneaking off seat belts, hiding behind the door to eat marshmallows before dinner (Closet Boss), watching Scoobie Doo (The Archer), and building a camp fire in his trash can at the age of 7 or 8 (Art Dog).
Years later, upon further discovery, the smoldering balsa wood in the trash can was not meant to be a bedroom camp fire, though it fit my suspicions at the time. When a kid says loudly "hmmmm..... I think I'll take out the trash now" and hums a tune while trying to look innocent, you just gotta wonder. I am now told that he had observed his grandfather, Papa Grizzly, leaving the bathroom after being in it for quite some time and noticed a match in the toilet. He was told that lighting a match eliminates ones...er....bathroom odors. With this in mind, my very particular son, was not enjoying the aroma of his.....er...... flatulence. He decided to see if the match trick actually worked. Apparently he passed gas several times and so he felt compelled to light several matches. After lighting so many, he inadvertently threw them into a trash can containing none other than some broken balsa wood airplane parts. You can probably figure out the rest. At any rate, it wasn't meant to be rebellious, it was just meant to experiment on eliminating his own flatulent odors.
And so, I have been quite fortunate despite my grandmothers dire prediction that some day I would have a kid "just like me". When I suspect a rebellious (or possibly disrespectful) sound may be passed in undertone, I do not often correct my children and explain to them the evils of a rebellious attitude. No, instead I have coined a saying, possibly from allowing "Captain Underpants" novels to coexist in our home. The saying is a nonsense term of none other than "tra la la chuckle poop". I find this method to be quite effective in discouraging wayward behavior. I have contemplated writing a parenting book focused on this model, though my husband has discouraged me from it.
Really and truly, I often grieve profusely over rebellious children. This is especially true because I was one of them. This is also true because I am emergency room nurse and I often observe the end results of rebelliousness. For this cause, I would hope to inspire parents everywhere, to weed, water and prune thier tender plants. Though you could try the "tra la la chuckle poop" method of raising children, the "Miracle Grow" of the Word of God would most likely bring a better crop.


Proverbs 29:17 (New King James Version)
17 Correct your son, and he will give you rest;
Yes, he will give delight to your soul.


Proverbs 20:11 (King James Version)

11Even a child is known by his doings, whether his work be pure, and whether it be right.


Proverbs 3
1My son, forget not my law; but let thine heart keep my commandments:

2For length of days, and long life, and peace, shall they add to thee.

3Let not mercy and truth forsake thee: bind them about thy neck; write them upon the table of thine heart:

4So shalt thou find favour and good understanding in the sight of God and man.

5Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.

6In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

7Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the LORD, and depart from evil.

6 comments:

kIaNa said...

Hey, it was only a couple marshmallows!!! Besides, I was hungry!

toytrkman said...

I do recall "The Archer" trying the "if Dad doesn't let me, maybe Mom will routine". He says after Dad found out, he never tried again. ;-}

Unknown said...

mmm... what a great post. thanks for the affirmation and exhortation, it encourages me so to know there are parents like you out there who are passionate about the final product and are working hard to shape kids after His heart instead of just "get through" the day.

I am fugly said...

hello, thanks for leaving a comment to one of my post. (: i must say you have some really great children. they are so cute! kayaking rocks, i know :)

Toni said...

what a great post, this is something I could see my four year old and even my hubby trying,lol. Thanks for the chuckle.

Mama Bear said...

i loved reading this. it made me laugh and then it made me think.

you have a way with words.

i needed to read the scriptures at the bottom.. always a good reminder.